Code of Ethics
The CODE OF ETHICS has been approved by the Board of Directors for the guidance of the club members.
IN KEEPING WITH MY DEDICATION TO FURTHER THE BETTERMENT OF THE IRISH SETTER BREED, I WILL ENDEAVOR TO MAINTAIN THE FOLLOWING PRACTICES:
- To maintain high standards of health and care for my dogs.
- To comply with all A.K.C. rules and regulations.
- To make every effort to learn about the structure, anatomy, action, inherited traits and behavior of the dog, especially as such learning applies to the Sporting Breeds and specifically as it applies to the Irish Setter.To study the standard and visualization of same (as printed by the Irish Setter Club of America) in an effort conscientiously breed a true, sound type setter regardless of the current winning vogue.
- To help educate all interested persons in areas with which I am familiar.
- To conduct myself in a sportsman like manner and to not deliberately degrade any member.
- To prove the quality of my stock by having it exhibited at A.K.C. functions (conformation, obedience, and/or field) as often as possible.
- To use or give service only to registered stock that is:
a. Physically and tempermentally sound and breedable and of good health, stamina, and vigor. b. Free from abnormalities considered to be inheritable and radiographically without evidence of hip dysplasia.
- To keep and pass on to the buyers of puppies or adult dogs accurate health, breeding, registration, and pedigree records.
- To hold registration papers on any dog that has defects of a nature that will make it detrimental to the breed and, in such cases, obtain written agreement from the buyer as required by A.K.C.
- Not to sell stock without true representation to the purchaser nor to use misleading or untruthful statements in selling or advertising.
- Not to sell or donate dogs to commercial wholesalers, retailers, or commercial laboratories.
- To use a sales contract or written agreement to cover any sale, purchase, or services involving a dog.